Home

Home

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Painting Fine Furniture with Chalk Paint

I wanted to see how happy I would be with painting over cherry wood with chalk paint. I've been toying with the idea of painting my kitchen cabinets white. They are cherry wood. So here is my experiment.

I made my own chalk paint from a recipe I found on the internet.

8 oz house paint
1  T water
2 T plaster of Paris

I mixed the plaster of Paris and water together until smooth and then added to the 8 oz of paint and stirred until well blended. I stored 1/2 the paint in a sealed jar. It used very little paint even though I put on 2 coats. If you haven't used chalk paint you will be happy to know it covers and adheres with no prep work! Yup. No sanding. No sanding between coats either.

Before
During

                         After

















                                                                                 

When I was finished and the paint had dried, which it does quickly, I "sanded" with a piece of brown paper bag. I then applied Johnson's Wax with a cloth and buffed it once it had dried.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.